I had a fridge full of zucchinis the other day. Finally, I decided to grate all of them and store the grated goodness in my freezer. Now, the big question...
"What do I do with twelve sandwich-size plastic bags of grated zucchini?"
I searched all over for some good recipes for chocolate zucchini muffins, and then just decided to create my own. I figured if they turned out good, I would post the recipe.
They were delicious! My youngest son, while eating his fourth muffin, piped up and asked, "Mama, these are so good. What did you put in them?"
Without hesitation, I said, "zucchini."
He stopped mid-bite. "Seriously?" he asked. "You put zucchini in these?"
"Yep," I answered.
He paused, investigated the muffin in his hand, and then stuffed the rest in his mouth. "Well, they're great!" he said, with his mouth full of chocolate zucchini goodness. If your child looks closely enough, they may see some green flecks here and there. Just be prepared.
4 cups grated zucchini, with moisture squeezed out.
2/3 cup boiling water
1 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups natural sugar (or date sugar)
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flax meal
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup (or more) chocolate chips
1. Now, if you're careful, you can make the whole recipe in one bowl (I never use more than one bowl for my muffins). First, put the grated zucchini in the bowl and cover it with the boiling water. Let it sit for a few minutes to soften the zucchini.
2. Add the oil and mix together slightly (just to cool the boiling water).
3. Add the eggs and vanilla and combine well.
4. Add sugar and mix together.
5. In the center of the mixture, add the flour. DO NOT STIR.
6. Add the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon on top of the flour. Using a fork, mix all the dry ingredients together on top of the liquid ingredients (just combining the dry ingredients together). Don't worry. You don't have to do this perfectly. That's just my step so I don't have to use two separate bowls.
7. Add flax meal and combine all the ingredients thoroughly.
8. Fold in chocolate chips.
9. Cook at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.