So…there I was in the frozen food section at Walmart, and noticed that they had a sale on frozen diced strawberries. Now, I am NOT one to fall for bargains, but this one was just too good to pass up. I bought a bag and tried them out in a pancake recipe. The results were fabulous! In fact, I tried to save some and freeze them for later, but the kids got into the freezer and ate them all! Why not try it out for yourself?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup spelt flour (you can also use whole wheat)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter (or oil), and egg. Add dry ingredients to milk mixture; whisk until just moistened.
- Heat a large skillet (nonstick or cast-iron) or griddle over medium. Cover with butter (I just swipe the stick of butter across the hot skillet).
- For each pancake, spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter onto skillet, using the back of the spoon to spread batter into a round (you should be able to fit 2 to 3 in a large skillet).
- Cook until surface of pancakes have some bubbles and a few have burst, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip carefully with a thin spatula, and cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more. Continue with more butter and remaining batter.